I have an eight yr old daughter with ADHD and so far as her problems arise, there are so many behaviors that are so unpredictable. I feel like giving up and like there is no way for me to help her. She is getting treatment but no forms of discipline are effective. I love her so much but struggle so much with her at home, school, and church. Everyone in the family just doesn't know what else we can do. What am I looking for is what her psychologist should be doing? Is there a better way to help her because the things we are doing just aren't working. We are in therapy, we work with the school and a focus group. I just feel we are loosing her. She knows we are at a loss and I feel she is giving up too. She has a wonderful teacher who hasn't given up yet but we will see what happens next year. Kier, is very smart she is happy or mad, she can be very violent disruptive abusive, and cold. I can not relate with her behavior. She will not listen to anyone. She feels like she holds no responsibility for her actions. Please, I am a parent who would do what ever it takes to get her help. I feel her growing futher and futher from this family. I do not want to lose her. She is worth what ever it takes. Please respond asap we are so very desperate.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.